For all families registered for this weekend’s campout at Raven Knob, please read for details and your packing list.
Spring Into Scouting is Here!
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone who registered for Spring Into Scouting this weekend, April 1 – 3.
Lots of details in this email so please read all the way through.
- Weather: We camp in all reasonable weather, and this weekend is looking good great for camping! It’s always a good idea to pack rain gear just in case, and be prepared for chilly temps especially at night. Raven Knob is always 5 degrees or colder than Winston.
- Campsite: We will be camping at the Dan Beard campground. Click here for Google Maps. As you enter Raven Knob, bear right to go past the dining hall and watch for signs for Dan Beard.
- Adirondacks and Tents: This site has several Adirondacks – three-wall shelters with bunk beds. Most campers can stay here though if you are a tent camper, bring a tent too. There is also space to hang hammocks!
- When: Campers can plan to be there Friday anytime after 5. We will be finished up Sunday late morning. You do not need to check in with Raven Knob as our Scout Master will check in our entire group. (A few families have indicated arrival Saturday, or an early departure, and we have noted that!)
- Meals: All meals will be provided in camp. That includes Friday dinner, all three meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday.
- Mess Kits: Please bring a camping mess kit. As a Pack, we’ve thrown away far too many plastic cups and utensils before. In an effort to be more eco-friendly, we invite you to bring a mess kit with you.
IMPORTANT – Confirm Your Registration:
Just to make sure we’re not missing anyone, please review the list below. Let us know if you feel that you registered but do not see your name.
Again, if you believe that you had registered and are not listed, please email me right away.
If you have not already, please fill out and email a completed copy of the health and outdoor release forms (items 1 and 2 below). Those forms were posted on the registration page and many of you have already sent them in to Lee. In addition to those, you will also need to sign the health waiver (At Risk COVID-19 Form, item 3). Please ensure Lee has copies by Wednesday night, email to scouterlmd. He will print all for our files at camp and we must have those for every camper. Thank you.
- BSA Medical Form with Part A & B Completed
- Outdoor Release (Scouts Only)
- At Risk COVID-19 Form
- Rank books
- Class A uniform (NO neckerchief and slide!)
- Canteen or water bottle (write name on bottles!)
- Mess Kit (plates, bowls, utensils, and coffee mugs)
- We will have a three-station wash station set up to clean up after meals
- Long pants (x2) and shorts optionally
- Underwear (x2)
- Socks (x2)
- Heavy sweatshirt or jacket, especially at night
- Extra shoes in case they get wet
- Rain coat/rain gear
- Notebooks and pen/pencil (optional)
- Watch (optional)
- Wallet and a little extra spending money ($5-$10)
- Washcloth and towel
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc., no glass bottles)
- Medications (as needed)
- Flashlight with new batteries and spare batteries
- Insect repellant
- Sleeping bag
- Camping chair
- Fishing gear (optional)
- Sunglasses (optional)
- Pocket knives (for Bears and Webelos with Whittling Chip)
- Tent and Tarp (if not sleeping in an Adirondack)
Do Not Bring:
- Firearms (or water guns)
- Electronic devices (e.g., game devices, etc.)