One more detail about this weekend’s trip
|PS: a few families have asked about coming up to the campsite for the day on Saturday – that is absolutely a great idea! You are very welcome to do so. Just let Lee or me know! The original message (sent Tues) is below.
New River Trail, Galax VA
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone who registered for the camping trip at the New River Trail in Galax, VA.
Lots of details in this email so please read all the way through.
- Weather: We camp in all reasonable weather, and this weekend is looking really nice! It’s always a good idea to pack rain gear just in case. We’ll be in the mountains in Galax so expect cooler temps than in Winston.
- Campsite: The New River Campground is a little tricky to find and in my experience, cell coverage is not great in that area. Note that we will park vehicles and then carry all gear across a foot bridge to the campsites, about 200 yards. See the pics pasted at the bottom of this message, and use this address for GPS: Cliffview campground – New River Trail State Park, 1271 Creekview Dr, Galax, VA 24333
- Tents: All tents need to be on designated pads, and it is ok to have campers share pads. There is also space to hang hammocks! Need a tent? Let us know!
- When: Lee Danhauer will depart St. Paul’s at 5:30 pm on Friday evening, and stop for a quick pizza dinner en-route. Approximate ETA at 7:30 pm. You are welcome to bring your bike to St Pauls at 5:00 load into the trailer, and caravan too if you like.
- Meals: Breakfast on Sat and Sun, as well as Saturday dinner will be provided in camp. Saturday we bike into Galax for a BBQ lunch at a restaurant downtown.
- Mess Kits: Please bring a camping mess kit, water bottle (there is water at the site), and a cup for hot cocoa.
- Bathrooms: there is a primitive toilet at this campground and no bath house. The creek does feel pretty good after a bike ride though!
- Biking!: The bike ride is 3 miles each way. The trail is packed gravel and very flat. We will have a vehicle or two that drive into town vs. ride and can even pick kids up once we get into town. The ride is very manageable for all ages! Bike helmets are required!
IMPORTANT – Confirm Your Registration:
Just to make sure we’re not missing anyone, please review the list below. Let us know if you feel that you registered but do not see your name.
Again, if you believe that you had registered and are not listed, please email me right away.
- Canteen or water bottle (write name on bottles!)
- Mess Kit (plates, bowls, utensils, and coffee mugs)
- We will have a three-station wash station set up to clean up after meals
- I won’t detail how many pairs of clothes to bring but I can honestly tell you I can never get my boys to change their clothes on this camping trip! It makes for an aromatic drive home on Sunday. Dress appropriately for the weather!
- Bicycle helmet
- Heavy sweatshirt or jacket, especially at night
- Water shoes or sandals of some kind are required to enter the creek
- Rain coat/rain gear
- Notebooks and pen/pencil (optional)
- Watch (optional)
- Wallet and a little extra spending money ($5-$10)
- Washcloth and towel
- Toiletries (soap, toothpaste, etc., no glass bottles)
- Medications (as needed)
- Flashlight with new batteries and spare batteries
- Insect repellant
- Sleeping bag
- Camping chair
- Fishing gear (optional, and a VA fishing license is required if you want to fish.)
- Sunglasses (optional)
- Pocket knives (for Bears and Webelos with Whittling Chip)
- Tent and Tarp
Do Not Bring:
- Firearms (or water guns)
- Electronic devices (e.g., game devices, etc.)