UPDATE: Registrations are due by Wednesday, Feb 13!
6:45 PM, Friday, Feb 22 – Saturday morning, Feb 23
North Carolina Zoo, Asheboro, NC
Scouts meet on Friday evening at the NC Zoo in Asheboro, NC, and spend an evening learning about “Creatures of the Night.” The program includes a nighttime trek through the zoo (after closing), accommodations in the zoo’s learning center (bring a sleeping bag and a pad or air mattress), evening snack, and breakfast.
All participants have admission to the Zoo for the whole day on Saturday, so you can hang out as long as you want before heading back home.
Please note that this trip is the weekend before the Carolina Beach camping trip.
The Pack is covering a significant part of the expense for the event, but we need to pass along a fee of $15 for each participant (Scouts and adults). If you need financial assistance, please talk to a Pack leader: we want all Pack activities to be an opportunity for all Scouts. Due to the Zoo’s space constraints, there is a limit of 30 participants, so we cannot welcome siblings for this event.
- Arrival Time – Plan on arriving at the Zoo by no later than 6:45PM this Friday. The program begins at 7:00PM so please arrive promptly at 6:45 to allow time to unload gear and bring it inside. The gates will close by 7:00 or shortly thereafter and if you’re late, you can’t get in.
- Dinner – Please eat dinner before arriving. The Dixie Express has some mean burgers and onion rings.
- Legal – We’ll have everyone sign the release form upon check-in at the Zoo.
- Saturday Morning – We have a light breakfast and then we are given access to the Zoo. You may spend as long as you would like at the Zoo on Saturday.
If you have any questions, please contact Mr Wharton, the project leader for this trip.
Packing List (from the NC Zoo)
- Weather-appropriate clothing (Be prepared for a change)—Zoo Snooze is an all weather adventure!!!
- Heavy coat, hat, gloves, if it’s cold
- Rain gear if it’s wet
- Sunscreen and hat if it’s hot, etc.
- Comfortable, closed-toe, walking shoes—NO FLIP-FLOPS
- Refillable Water bottle
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad or air mattress (recommended for adults)
- Hand Towel & Washcloth—there are NO shower facilities available
- Toothpaste & Toothbrush
- Personal Items (toiletries, cosmetics, etc)
- Small Backpack or Waist Pack
- Snacks/ lunch for your day in the park (coolers are not allowed in the park, but you can keep them in your car)
- Bug Spray for the night hike (during summer months)
Prohibited items (do NOT bring):
- Flip-Flops and/or backless shoes
- Light-up shoes
- Electronics—portable televisions, laptops, radios, IPod, mp3 players, video games, etc.
The North Carolina Zoo cannot be responsible for lost/misplaced items or for items retrieved accidentally by other participants. Be sure to label ALL gear.