Camping this weekend in Virginia! Read for all the details below.
Not camping? See the bottom of this email for a recap of the 10/29 den meetings and activities covered.
Camping: New River Trail, Galax VA
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone who registered for the camping trip at the New River Trail in Galax, VA.
Lots of details in this email so please read all the way through.
- Weather: Overnight temps forecast to be in the 30’s and Sat high is 62. Dress in layers!
- Campsite: The New River Campground is a little tricky to find and in my experience, cell coverage is not great in that area. Note that we will park vehicles and then carry all gear across a foot bridge to the campsites, about 200 yards. Use this address for GPS: Cliffview campground – New River Trail State Park, 1271 Creekview Dr, Galax, VA 24333
- Tents: All tents need to be on designated pads, and we will share the pads with 2-3 tents per pad. There is also space to hang hammocks! Need a tent? Let us know!
- When: Arrive anytime Friday evening. Note that you will likely be setting up a tent at dusk, if not dark. Flashlights and headlamps are a must!
- Meals: Breakfast on Sat and Sun, as well as Saturday dinner will be provided in camp. Saturday we bike into Galax for a BBQ lunch at a restaurant downtown.
- Mess Kits: Please bring a camping mess kit, water bottle (there is water at the site), and a cup for hot cocoa.
- Bathrooms: there is a primitive toilet at this campground and no bath house. The creek does feel pretty good after a bike ride though!
- Biking!: If you need to have your bikes transported, please contact Lee Danhauer and arrange with him. The bike ride is 3 miles each way. The trail is packed gravel and very flat. We will have a vehicle or two that drive into town vs. ride and can even pick kids up once we get into town. The ride is very manageable for all ages! Bike helmets are required!
- Schedule: This trip is most free time at the campsite. The only planned activities other than meals is the mid-day bike-ride into Galax. Departure Sunday morning can be at your leisure after breakfast.
- Canteen or water bottle (write name on bottles!)
- Mess Kit (plates, bowls, utensils, and coffee mugs)
- We will have a three-station wash station set up to clean up after meals
- Clothing: your kids will get messy playing near the creek. Bring a change of dry clothes. Dress appropriately for the weather!
- Bicycle helmet
- Sun protection
- Heavy sweatshirt or jacket, especially at night
- Water shoes or sandals of some kind are required to enter the creek
- Swimsuit (optional, the creek water will be cold)
- Rain coat/rain gear
- Notebooks and pen/pencil (optional)
- Watch (optional)
- Wallet and a little extra spending money ($5-$10)
- Toiletries (primarily toothbrush and toothpaste)
- Medications (as needed)
- Flashlight with new batteries and spare batteries
- Insect repellant
- Sleeping bag
- Camping chair
- Fishing gear (optional, and a VA fishing license is required if you want to fish.)
- Pocket knives (for Bears and Webelos with Whittling Chip)
- Tent and Tarp
Do Not Bring:
- Firearms (or water guns)
- Electronic devices (e.g., game devices, etc.)
Den Meeting Recap
Each den completed the following activities. If your family was unable to participate on Sunday, 10/29, you can go through the activities with your scout in their handbook.
Lions: Fun on the Run. It will be completed at the next Den meeting on 11/19
Wolves: Paws on the Path items 1 through 4. Homework is #5 which will be done this weekend for those who are biking on the camping trip!
Bears: Paws for Action 1, 3b, and 3c. Homework is to work on emergency numbers and emergency plans.
Webelos and AoL’s: Worked on bowline and half-hitch knots, plus geocaching!
Next Den Meetings: Sunday, November 19 from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.
Yours in Scouting,