We’re looking forward to the first camping trip of the year on Friday Oct 4th at the Sugar Valley Airport. For more information about the trip, you can view the original announcement.
If you have not yet registered. Please click here.
Remember, Young Eagles flights are for scouts 8 years old and up, and are dependent on weather. One of our Pack Pilots will attempt to fly the younger scouts as time permits. Parents, please prepare your scouts to react well if we have to change plans.
Here’s how you should arrive:
Camp opens at Sugar Valley at 5:00 PM; please plan to arrive by 7:00 PM. Saturday morning arrivals should be before 9:30 AM.
Sugar Valley Airport is located at the end of Pinebrook Road off of Farmington Road north of Mocksville. Click here for Google Maps directions. Be careful when driving on the airport; follow the diagram below (turn left at first gravel parking area, follow to access gate, drive across runway to camping area). If wet grass will be a problem for your car, you can park in the gravel lot and walk across the runway with assistance.
Here’s what you should bring:
- Water bottle (we’re phasing out red solo cups)
- Coffee mugs for adults and scouts who want hot chocolate
- Mess kit (if available; saves on plastic utensils and campsite trash)
- Tent (remember tie-down lines)
- Tarp (optional for under your tent; we’ll be camping on grass)
- Sleeping (sleeping bag, pillow, mat or cot)
- Clothes (please pack your Class B uniforms to wear on Saturday; keep the range of temperatures in mind)
- Toiletries (no shower facilities). There is a port-a-john for most use; women are able to use a bathhouse across the runway if they wish.
- Sun and bug protection
- Camp/beach chairs
- Games / books (no electronics). Footballs, soccer balls, and frisbees are all great for the setting.
- Optional: fishing equipment
Here’s what you should not bring:
- Electronics of any kind.
- Water guns.
- Firearms or weapons of any kind.
- Pocket knives (except Bears or Webelos with Whittling Chip).
Need camping equipment?
If you’re not yet equipped for camping, let Lee Danhauer know and we’ll figure out what you need. We can cover almost anything you might need for this first trip, and that will give you a chance to test it out and determine your needs for the future.
Remember, we don’t ever want resources or equipment to stand in the way of one of our Scouts having a great experience with nature, their friends, and their parents.