Parent-Scout Weekend is Here!
We’re looking forward to seeing everyone who registered for Parent-Scout Camping this weekend.
Lots of details in this email so please read all the way through.
- Weather: Looks great! Overnight temperatures will be cool. A sleeping bag AND a blanket might feel good!
- Campsite: We will be camping at the Shawnee Campsite at Raven Knob. Use 475 Scout Valley Trail, Mt Airy, NC 27030 to get directions directly to the site! This site is all the way in to the camp. There should be ample room to park your vehicle at the campsite.
- Tents: This site has no Adirondacks so bring your tent. There is room for scouts who want to hang a hammock.
- When: Campers can plan to be there Friday anytime after 5. We will be finished up Sunday mid morning (no breakfast planned in camp on Sunday). You do not need to check in with Raven Knob as our Scout Master will check in our entire group.
- Meals: Meals will be provided in camp. That includes dinner on Friday and Saturday, breakfast Saturday morning, and Raven Knob staff will provide a “bagged lunch” on Saturday.
- Mess Kits: Please bring a camping mess kit if you have one. We do have paper products for those who do not have a mess kit. Include a water bottle for drinking water, and a cup for hot beverages if you would like.
- Rank books
- Class B shirt if you have one
- Canteen or water bottle (write name on bottles!)
- Mess Kit (plates, bowls, utensils, and coffee mugs)
- We will have a three-station wash station set up to clean up after meals
- Long pants (x2)
- Underwear (x2)
- Socks (x2)
- Sweatshirt or coat for cool evenings
- Extra shoes in case they get wet
- Rain coat/rain gear (no rain in the forecast, but hey, don’t jinx it!)
- Notebooks and pen/pencil (optional)
- Watch (optional)
- Wallet and a little extra spending money ($5-$10)
- Washcloth and towel
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc., no glass bottles)
- Medications (as needed)
- Flashlight with new batteries and spare batteries
- Insect repellant
- Sleeping bag
- Fishing gear (optional)
- Sunglasses (optional)
- Pocket knives (for Bears and Webelos with Whittling Chip)
- Tent and Tarp
Do Not Bring:
- Firearms (or water guns)
- Electronic devices (e.g., game devices, etc.)
If you have questions on this trip, the point people will be Outdoorsman, Lee Danhauer, and Scoutmaster,